West Godavari district is one of the 13 districts in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. The district is situated in Coastal Andhraregion of the state. Eluru is the administrative headquarters of the district.As of 2011 census of India, it has an area of 7,742 km2 (2,989 sq mi) and a population of 3,936,966. It is bounded by Krishna district on the west, East Godavari district on the east, Bay of Bengal on the south and the state of Telangana on the north.
Eluru was a part of the Buddhist kingdom of Vengi. The Eastern Chalukyas ruled coastal Andhra from 700 to 1200, with Vengi, near Pedavegi village, as their capital. Historical evidences are found at the villages, Pedavegi and Guntupalli (Jilakarragudem). Eluru then became a part of the Kalinga Empire until 1471. Later it fell into the hands of the Gajapathis. In 1515 Sri Krishna Deva Raya captured it. After the fall of the Vijayanagara Kingdom, it was taken by the Sultan of Golkonda, Kutub Shah. In 1925, West Godavari District was formed with Eluru as its headquarters and all the district offices and regional offices were set up in Eluru city.
The district occupies an area of 7,742 km2 (2,989 sq mi). The district is bounded by Khammam district on the north, Bay of Bengalon the south. The Godavari River separates East Godavari district on east and Tammileru River and Kolleru Lake separates it from Krishna district on the west. Dowleswaram barrage, Eluru canal, Vijayarai Anicut, Tammileru, Jalleru and Yerrakaluva reservoirs are the source of irrigation.
Agriculture is one of the main occupation in the district with the main produce being paddy. Sugarcane, cashew nut, mango, coconut and tobacco are other important crops.Apart from agriculture, the farmers also indulge in aquaculture activities, such as, pisciculture and shrimp production. Wooden Pile Carpet Industry in Eluru produces eco-friendly carpets from wool and are exported to foreign countries as well.
Tourism and landmarks
There are many landmarks and tourism destinations in the district. Eluru is the largest city of the district with many destinations related to Buddhists and Archeological importance such asGuntupalli Caves near the city. Eluru city hosts 74feet high Buddha statue in the heart of the city
The district has four revenue divisions, namely Eluru, Jangareddigudem, Kovvur, and Narasapuram. These revenue divisions are divided into 48 mandals in the district. These 46 mandals consists of 881 villages, 1 municipal corporation, 7 municipalities and 5 census towns.Eluru is the only municipal corporation, 7 municipalities include, Kovvur, Narasapuram, Nidadavolu, Palakol, Tadepalligudem, Tanuku,Bhimavaram and the 5 census towns are Dwarakatirumala, Sanivarapupeta, Satrampadu, Gavaravaram and Tangellamudi